I suppose from the looks of my blog all I do anymore is bake cookies. I promise I do more; I eat them too!
In all seriousness, things are busy around here with summer in full swing. I’ve been trying to make good use of the BOB Duallie we bought secondhand earlier this summer so we try to get as many places as we can by mama-power. After a run to the park at the end of our road, an hour of playing, and the run back I spent some time cleaning up the kitchen and surveying the things in our freezer. I periodically like to attempt using up everything in the freezer, and I’m currently on one of those kicks. With frozen bananas, the canister of brewer’s yeast I’m always looking to use, and my last supply of lactation cookies already consumed I went in search of a new recipe.
I found this recipe for Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies on Bakerita, made some changes, and may have found a new favorite cookie! They are moist and chewy with a nice caramelization on the bottom. My bananas were still frozen in the middle when I chunked them up, and I added cardamom instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg used in the original recipe. And of course, I used flax and water to make my “egg” and added brewer’s yeast.
I of course looked up cardamom and breastfeeding AFTER I made the cookies. Seems there’s not much out there except the usual, “use caution when pregnant or breastfeeding”, but I don’t think 1/4 tsp in the batch is going to have negative effects particularly since I’ve been eating Indian food about once a month throughout my pregnancy and the Beast’s first four months of life. We like our rice pudding!
Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Lactation cookies
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal and 3 tbsp water (mix and let sit on counter 3-5 minutes)
- 1/3 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (4.25 oz.) white whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp brewer’s yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and get the cookie sheet and Silpat ready.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brewer’s yeast, and cardamom.
- In mixer, cream together the coconut oil and the sugar on medium speed.
- Add the flax and water mixture, followed by the mashed banana and vanilla extract.
- Mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls onto baking sheets, flattening each cookie slightly. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges. Do not overbake.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.